Start Your Journey.
A six-week course, by and for LGBTQ+ people.
Learn how to integrate public speaking into your career and build your influence.
Enrollment for the first round of keynote queers is closed. If you would like to apply for our next cohort, please submit your information at the application link below.
Small class. Huge value. Limitless potential.
How we get there:
- A weekly hour-long group zoom call with Elena Joy, split between creating the outline of your talk and "how to get booked" skills.
- Meet one-on-one with TEDx Speaker Coach Jill Davis for custom coaching. 3x for 30 minutes prior to the performance and 1x for 30 minutes after the performance, but within 3 months.
- The last 2-3 weeks of the group class will also include professional speaking special guests and Q&A (we know lots of TEDx producers and coaches). Depending on guest speakers' schedules, this might be during or in addition to the Zoom class
- Students will meet with Jill Davis three times during the course, for 30 minutes each. Times and days will be coordinated directly with Jill.
- There is no application fee.
- Students will be accepted on a rolling basis so the class can fill anytime before start date.
- Weekly classes with Elena Joy will happen on Tuesday mornings at 10 am PST. Meetings will be recorded and available for replay.
What this is...
- a way to focus and gather all the tools that you need to become a paid public speaker.
- access to an incredible TEDx speaker coach and her 1:1 feedback for you.
- an opportunity to learn from a professional, queer public speaker exactly how she books paid speaking gigs.
- an innovative course to build an impactful cohort of like-minded LGBTQ+ changemakers.
What this isn't...
- a guarantee to become a TEDx speaker. No one can guarantee that as all TEDx events are run independently and by volunteers.
- a path to immediate fame.
- a sure-fire way to become part of a speaker’s bureau.
What you walk away with:
- A 10 minute or less talk that you can use to pitch your business and/or move towards a TEDx talk.
- A recording of your talk to use in a speaking reel from a performance night with guests you invite.
- Tools to get yourself booked: a list of conferences to apply for including TEDx, an intentional bio, a headshot review, a list of resources to find bookings, and a speaking pitch to use going forward.
- Copy of Thriving in Business: Strategies for the LGBTQ+ Entrepreneur
How do I get in?
Because the attendee cap is only 10 students, you will need to apply to secure your spot. There is no application fee.
No previous speaking experience is required. What is being measured is the desire to use the class to its highest potential, to change the world.
What is it going to cost me?
The price for the next cohort has not been determined yet. The first cohort was considered a Beta group and the cost was $1495.
Because of the expanded class time, you can expect the cost will be more than that. A payment plan will always be available.
Additionally, this is a fundraiser for the Pride and Joy Foundation so your tuition cost is a donation to a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit.
Is this right for me?
First, do you identify as LGBTQ+? The goal of this program is to amplify Queer voices and supplement Queer income. If you're straight, there are lots of other speaking courses for you. This is one for the gaybies, ladies, and theybies.
Second, are you ready to add speaking skills to your toolkit? You might own your business and are looking to expand. You might work for someone else and you're ready to take on larger roles.
Third, are you ready to explore the sensation of visibility? The sensations that visibility brings to Queer people are intense. Both you and the audience can feel it. When mastered, Queer public speaking literally changes your life and the lives of your audience.
The Group Portion
The One-on-One Portion
MEET YOUR COACH
Elena Joy Thurston is the founder and Executive Director of Pride and Joy Foundation.
She is an inspirational LGBTQ+ speaker, and trainer. A Mormon mom of four who lost her marriage, her church, and her community when she came out as a lesbian, Elena’s viral TEDx talk on surviving conversion therapy has been viewed 40,000+ times and landed her media and speaking opportunities with ABC, CBS, Logitech, Penn State, and Michael’s. Elena Joy recently launched Pride and Joy Publishing, the only publisher of solely LGBTQ+ empowerment and business books.
MEET YOUR COACH
For the past 30 years, Jill has been helping people identify their dreams, tell their stories and share their ideas with the world. She is a coach, speaker, author, as well as a mother of four and grandmother of two, living a life of joy in the beautiful Colorado Mountains. Jill cocreates stories with her clients to share to their audiences.
Jill's time as the lead speaker coach for TEDx Colorado Springs inspired her to create her newest project: The Storytellers’ Porch, a new podcast showcasing personal stories with collective impact.
How long have you waited for something like this?
Elena Joy and Jill have been through so many of these speaking courses. Hardly any of them have been safe and affirming spaces for our LGBTQ+ community. It's time for the queer community to have the chance to learn the life-changing skills of visibility and public speaking, in a safe place.